Flat black parts need painting on my '6...suggestions?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Flat black parts need painting on my '6...suggestions?
From: "Kronberg, Peter" <Peter.Kronberg@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:55:12 -0600
Hey Everyone,

The back end of my '76 needs to be repainted. I never understood why
this scheme was used (perhaps to mask accumulated tail pipe solids), but
it is clearly fading into a mottled charcoal/grey tone. I've got to pull
the tail lights to install some new gaskets...so I figured this would be
a good time to do this job.
Here's the questions:
Can I do this myself with a spray paint?
What kind of paint?
What kind of prep?

Also, the windshield fascia (on the '76, anyway) is also this flat black
color. I can't imagine why, but anyway...it's faded also. Any
suggestions for re-painting this area?

Thanks in advance,

Pete
'76 CF51563U