Low clutch release and catching teeth in 3rd...related?

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Low clutch release and catching teeth in 3rd...related?
From: Josh Tarnow <jjtarnow@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:31:31 -0800 (PST)
Folks, my clutch was letting out quite low to the floor (.5 inch) and I was
catching a tooth going into and downshifting to 3rd. I decided to tackle the
easiest and least costly route first which was to bleed my clutch hydraulics.
Upon "the bleed" I saw the most offending black cloud permeate the clean fluid
in the glass (not to mention how low the master cyl. was in the first place) so
this was obviously the right course of action regardless. While my clutch now
seems to be MUCH better it's still letting out low the floor (about an inch and
a half now) but I'm still catching into 3rd (up and down shifting). Would you
assume it's a worn clutch or in need of a tranny rebuild or both? Any
suggestions?

Josh

'76 Pimento