alternator vs. battery

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: alternator vs. battery
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:09:31 EST
Listers:

I recently started up the '70 PI after a couple of idle weeks.  The car
barely cranked, as if the battery was dead.  I wasn't overly surpised, since
I had completed recently 2 lengthy sessions of fuel injector testing which
required repeatedly starting the car for a few seconds each.

I jump started the car and it started right up (on all 6 cylinders, by the
way!).  While driving, the voltmeter (?) showed charge when the revs were up
and discharge when idling.  I only had a chance to drive 2 or 3 miles, and
had to park it.  It wouldn't crank again today.

My question is this:  Does my description indicate only a discharged battery,
or a bad alternator?  In other words, does the position of the voltmeter on
the "charge" side of the scale while revving indicate proper alternator
function?  In that case, I will just take the car out for a long drive and
everything should be fine.  If not, how do I check the alternator?

I would have trickle-charged the battery, but my charger is malfunctioning
and needs to be returned to the company for exchange.  I can easily replace
the battery if need be, but I am curious if I have supplied enough
information to know that the alternator is all right.

Thanks!

Michael Samuels
Miami Beach, FL