Re: Clutch items and ring gears

To: ken.davis@attbi.com (Ken Davis)
Subject: Re: Clutch items and ring gears
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:04:44 -0800 (PST)
Ken---Putting 'slightly used' clutch back in is always a tough call. On
the plate itself, I measure the lining thickness down to the rivets, on
both sides. If the depth here is less than .030, I toss it.

Using a no-name bearing in this area is another crap shoot. I would
favor a used KOYO if it still spins freely and was silent when last in
operation.

The pushrod coming out of the SC is self aligning, tho it is best to not
have a bend in it. By using the middle hole in the operating arm, it
centers the load on the SC piston. This should help keep the bore from
scoring due to side loads.

Don't spend too much time polishing the front cover and bearing carrier
sleeve.  Some pores here will help hold the grease. Just get rid of
sharp angles that might cause these parts to hang on each other during
clutch engagement.

Dick