Re: sway bar bracket

To: lizirbydavis@cs.com, 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: sway bar bracket
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 07:29:33 -0500
  Hi Joe & list,
       I just did those bushings the other day. I had the yellow poly
ones from Rimmer (which I really don't like too much). I soaked the
bushings in boiling water, which softened them up, and pushed them over
the bar end. Worked fine. The flat side of the bushing (there should be
a flat side...)goes against the car, then the metal housing over that,
then the u-bolt over that. I had to use a long screwdriver to guide the
washers and nuts on to the u-bolts that I fed through the small slots
near the mounting points. Fortunately, I had nice cold, steel jack
stands to use as pillows while I did this..... If the radiator is out of
the car, it's a piece of cake!
  Good luck,
Kevin Thompson
Cape Cod British Car Club

 Joe Davis wrote:---
Hi List,
I've just taken the roll bar off the front of the car.  Two questions:
What are the brackets supposed to look like.  Are
they supposed to be semicircular (to match the shape of the poly
bushings I bought)?  The brackets I pulled off are almost
eliptical.  The rubber bushings and U bolts are comformed perfectly to
this unsual shape.  I can't see how a poly bushing
can be made to fit into this bracket.  Second, how do you get the
bushing on to the bar?  There is no way I can get the
bushing over the ends of the bar.  It seems that the bushing would have
to be split to fit, although the rubber bushings
were not.
Joe Davis