Like stirring paint!

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Like stirring paint!
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:50:38 -0500
AL,

Congratulations on having finished your conversion! It would appear that
you are thoroughly pleased with the results. This is good as I'm sure
that you went to a fair amount of expense and some labor.

I often travel across Alligator Alley to Miami or the keys at 85 MPH so
I can certainly understand your appreciation for the 5th, (overdrive),
gear. The TR electric overdrive is fantastic as well.

On the other hand:

Having been a line mechanic for Raleigh Toyota years ago; I do wonder
about this stirring paint effect that seems to somehow refer to the way
a Toyota transmission shifts.

Under normal driving conditions they are quite smooth, then again so is
the standard TR Box. Naturally the TR Box should be in good condition.

When speed shifting at high RPM, The Toyota box is, "in fact", like
stirring paint...

Attach one of those propeller looking things to your drill motor...hit
the side of the can while stirring...and you get the same kind of sound
as when speed shifting a Toyota Box. Clash...Crash... with a charming
high frequency vibration that goes straight through the shifter! It's
enough to make your hand numb, or possibly make the most experienced
harlot blush! Yes there is a simple reason for this...The fix is
somewhat elaborate...check out TRD for the procedure.

The TR Box as set-up from new offers the driver a classic short throw
engagement, coupled with ratios that complement the engine. In addition
the shaft synchronization is such that it takes very little practice to
master the art of REV matching. It is entirely possible to shift the TR
Box without using the clutch...and without damaging the transmission! I
do it all the time!

I realize that many TR owners do not care to speed shift, or learn
how...but it should be noted that a stock Toyota transmission is not a
technology marvel. It was designed for a purpose and served that purpose
well.

I would go racing with my Brit gearbox long before I would go to the
trouble of swapping it out for any conversion. The TR box is so
inexpensive to rebuild that it just doesn't make sense to convert!

Best Regards,

Jim Swarthout