Re: KOYO/Sachs clutch kit

To: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Subject: Re: KOYO/Sachs clutch kit
From: RPVanLuchene@lbl.gov
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:42:41 -0800
Hi Dick,
When my mechanic took out the last KOYO (My symptoms were sticky clutch
and squealing), he said it was the bearing that failed. He got it from
BP NW. All he did was put in a new bearing. Pressure plate (Sachs) and
sleeve and related components were all satisfactory. Worked beautifully
for a few hundred miles then the pedal action became less smooth. Then
my trans came out to be rebuilt, when I got the car back it worked
beautifully once again (very smooth, very heavy) for a while. Now it is
a little sticky when warmed up and the bearing is whirring again after
only 500 miles.

 So if the squealing is just from the bearing trying to get up to
speed, shouldn't the squealing stop if you keep the pedal pushed in for
a bit, as the bearing speeds up? Or maybe it never does get up to
speed? I seem to recall the squeal not going away until I let out on
the pedal. I'll have to recheck that one tonight before the storms come.

I'll be going to my mechanic's shop probably in a couple weeks, and I'm
going to bring him a copy of Nelson's "Reliable Clutch" and see what he
thinks about the Gunst bearing kit and the bearing sleeve/front cover
issue. Since my clutch should still be under warranty, perhaps he would
consider following the Reliable Clutch protocol. I hope to put this
problem to rest once and for all, so I can actually drive this car with
a quiet, smooth clutch.

Ryan
'71