Re: TRF magic clutch kit/dash bulbs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TRF magic clutch kit/dash bulbs
From: RPVanLuchene@lbl.gov
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:28:34 -0800
CLUTCH:
I've got my 2nd KOYO bearing in my 71 TR6 and it is already starting
to "whirr" when I press in the clutch pedal. Has between 500-1000 miles
on it. I stopped in a different British car repair shop yesterday and
asked the mechanic there what type of parts he uses when doing a TR6
clutch job. He says he's done hundreds of them and he has never done a
Magic Kit conversion. He uses the standard bearing with a Borg & Beck
plate and said "some" of them come back with problems, but that's what
he uses. He agreed it's a crapshoot with those bearings. I told him
about the GUNST but he didnt seem too interested. Has anyone Recently
installed a stock RHP bearing and not had problems after significant
mileage? Are there still quality issues?
How about you folks that got the GUNST kit? I am at my wit's end and am
ready to order the GUNST kit and just do the damn thing myself if my
mechanic refuses to do it again. Nelson, have you put in the B&B plate
to see if the "Wussy clutch" has gone away?

BULBS:
I recently put in a new dash panel and cleaned all the bulb sockets on
the back of the guages and replaced all the bulbs. Now they are much
brighter. Since I got the bulbs from 2 different suppliers though, some
have a bluish tint whereas some have give off a standard white-light
when installed in the guages. Before the swap-out they all had a white
color, so I think it may have to do with the type of element in the
bulb which influences the color (in the pre-73 guages at least).
Whatever the case, cleaning the guages with canned air and putting in
new bulbs greatly improved the guage lighting. I must commend TRF on
their excellent dash panels too, it really looks beautiful now with my
walnut shift knob and MotoLita wheel...

Ryan
71 TR6