GM Alternator Update(longish)

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: GM Alternator Update(longish)
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 23:02:12 -0500
Hi List:
Well, after way too much time and way too cold fingers, the GM Alternator
conversion is done.  I thought I would take a moment and update the list on the
slightly different procedure.  I decided to see if I could mount the GM alt
without having to cut any of the casing or do any other machining of parts.
Should I ever need to replace the alt, especially on a trip or other tight
spot, I would be able to do it without extra tools or modifications.
I wanted to see if I could mount the GM alt without having to take off some of
the casing so I tried mounting the alt upside down, with the 5/16b bolt on the
bottom and the 3/8b bolt on the top.  The alt needed to be move forward about
an inch to line up the pulleys so I used a spacer on the bottom bracket to move
it forward.  It worked slick.  The problem I had was that the original bracket
was nowhere near long enough, as other people who have converted to a GM alt
have indicated.  I went to a local junkyard today (about 15 degrees, but sunny)
with my emergency tool kit and scrounged around.  After only the second vehicle
I looked at and only ten minutes there I found a late model Dodge Ram Charger
and removed the alt bracket.  This alt bracket is quite long, and is in an arc
so it clears the fan blades on the new alt.  I brought it back to try it out
and it was a close fit, but rather perfect. The bracket makes it so the
alternator sits about halfway between the engine and the inner fender.  With
the alt farther away than before it became necessary to increase the size of
the fan belt so the new fan belt is 44  5/8b now.
Now for the specifics.  After removing the Lucas alt, fan belt and top bracket,
I mounted the GM alt upside down, using the 5/16b bolt, inserting from the
back of the engine forward in the following order:  Bolt, inserted into
existing bracket on engine, flat washer, 1 inch spacer, flat washer, then bolt
is inserted into alt and tightened.  Place fan belt around all pulleys.  Top
bracket is mounted to the engine at the same point as the old one and snugged,
but not tightened.  Starting from back of engine, insert 3/8b bolt through
flat washer, B=b spacer, flat washer, through hole in alternator, through
bracket, flat washer and nyloc nut.  Adjust alt back to tighten the fan belt as
necessary and then tighten the 3/8bbolt.  Check and tighten all bolts.  Follow
the instructions from Dan Masters for electrical connections as written at the
link below:
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator/gm-tr6.html
One thing I didnbt find at the VTR site was instructions on where to attach
the ground wire after removing it from the Lucas alt.  Those having more
experience will have known without instructions where to place it.  On the new
GM alt, the bolt to hold the ground wire was missing, so it wasnbt immediately
obvious to me where to put it.  And the ground wire isnbt mentioned at all at
the VTR site.  I had to make a new ground wire to go between the alt and the
engine since the old one wasnbt quite long enough.  I have to give credit
where credit is due and a fellow lister, Rick Patton (and owner of the local
NAPA store) was very helpful, patiently answering my questions.  He also
provided the spacer and cut it to length for me.  In lieu of a spacer, flat
washers could be used until the desired thickness was achieved and no cutting
would be needed at all.
I am very pleased with how everything turned out, and how nice the set-up
looks.  With the spacers it looks very clean.  Started the car up and not only
does it charge just wonderfully with lights, heater fan, etc. on, but the
ignition light finally went off!!!  I wasnbt able to do a few things, due to
the cold, and location of the car (garage with no electricity) such as solder
the electrical connections or apply heat to the plastic shrink connecters on
the wiring.  Those will be done in the spring after hibernation.  Thanks also
to the listers who sent me pictures and answered my questions about how they
installed their GM alt.  I have taken a few pics, but forgot my digital camera
so I have to take a trip back to the garage and document the final set-up.
Questions or comments anyone?
Materials List:
GM Alternator(NAPA Part #213-4011B) $33.99 + $11.00 core $43.99Connector for
Alt. (NAPA Part #VRC148)                 $3.52Dodge Ram Charger Alt.
Bracket(Local junkyard)        $2.50Alt Belt (NAPA Part #257440)  44 5/8"
length          $9.74One 3/8" X 3" Bolt Grade 5
$.53One 3/8" nyloc nut                                     $.25three 3/8" Flat
Washer .06 ea.                         $.18One 5/16" X 2.75" Bolt Grade 5
                  $.31Two 5/16b flat washer .06 ea.
$.123 packets of electrical connectors $2.49ea.           $7.466b piece of
ground wire (10-12ga?)                     $.501 metal spacer
                      FREE!!                                              Total
 $69.10

Aaron Cropley (warmer now and smiling)71 TR6 (much colder, but smiling just the
same)