RE: dash lights update

To: "Shane Ingate" <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>, <SamuelsMA@aol.com>
Subject: RE: dash lights update
From: "Stephen Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:05:52 -0800
For more information on fuses than you ever wanted to know look at this
link.

http://www.littlefuse.com/PDFs/EDG_Cat/fuseology.pdf

In general, Shane is correct.  There is a "however" though.  Fuses come
with many other parameters in addition to the "current" capacity.  Two of
these that might impact us are "blow speed"(my description) and voltage
rating.  Voltage rating is leans more towards how much voltage the fuse
will "hold off" when open.  To small a gap and arc over can happen.  The
other is real important the fuse can be designed to blow (I'll use a 10
amp fuse as an example) under several different scenarios.  For example a
fuse on the heater fan circuit (or the electric cooling upgrade for the
radiator) has to allow for current extremes on initial startup but still
protect during the lower operational period.  These circuits would use a
"slow blow" fuse.  My radio and other electronic equipment should be
protected so that any increase in current draw blows the fuse immediately.

The long and short of all of this be careful with what you install.  On
the other hand remember Lucus probably does(did??) not build their own
fuse they bought it from someone who specializes in fuses (Cooper-Bussman,
Littlefuse, etc)

What I see as a much bigger problem that can end in "was my fuse right" is
the wiring "style".  crimped connections and bullet plugs are good when
new but over time vibration gets to them.  In addition plain air helps
them corrode.  When the Japanese built my bike(oh so many years ago) they
use the same bullet connector but applied conductive grease to each
connection.  This keeps the corrosion down, which in turn keeps the heat
down.

At any rate more ramblings from the electronics closet

Steve