RE: Leather Pinion Seal Orientation

To: "'Vsnively@aol.com'" <Vsnively@aol.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Leather Pinion Seal Orientation
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:02:29 -0600
Vic, if the pinion shaft in the vicinity of the seal is not smooth and
free of grooves, I dont think any seal will do a good job.  I went down
this road with a leather seal first, but I failed to clean up the shaft
and it leaked immediately.  I put a neoprene seal on afterwards after
cleaning the shaft and it leaks much less (very minor).  The only reason
it leaks at all is that the OD of the seal case is slightly larger than
the ID of the diff case, so the seal warped slightly after I drove it
in.  Of course, I didnt know this as I was installing it.

Bottom line - I suspect that either seal will work if 1) the shaft is
smooth (use a speedi-sleeve if you have grooves that wont go away) and
2) the seal is fitted correctly.  Also, I've heard the leather seal
should be soaked in oil overnight before installation.

John - 1976 TR6