Voltage Stabilizer Question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Voltage Stabilizer Question
From: Brian Borgstede <borgstede@umsl.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:33:13 -0500
Robert,
The Voltage Stabilizer is misunderstood little device.  When the books say
that it outputs ten Volts, they don't tell the whole story.

It's a little metal box (smaller than a matchbox) on the back of the tach
or speedo
with some green (I think) wires connected.  Use your wiring diagram to
determine
what wires are input and output.  Grounding to the dash is VITAL.  The
device works
like a turn signal flasher.  It has a bi-metallic strip that flexes when
heated.  The strip
works a switch inside the device.  When voltage (12-13V) flows through the
strip,
it heats up and the strip flexes turning off the voltage.  When the voltage
is off, the
strip cools and makes contact again starting the process over.  The device
"blinks"
on and off.  If you look at the output with a meter,  you will see it swing
from 13V to 0V
and back again.

If you average the 13 and 0 Volts together... you get your 10 volts.

The needles in your temp. and fuel gauges move so slowly that you don't see
the changes.

>Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:22:48 -0400
>From: "Robert L. Gannon" <trsix74@comcast.net>
>Subject: Voltage Stabelizer Question
>Well now that we believe it is probably the stabilizer that is the
>problem, my question is how is such a unit tested. Can it be measured with
>a volt meter and a car battery or am I looking for continuity? What
>measurements am I looking for. Thanks for all the help so far. Now I need
>more.
>Robert L. Gannon
>trsix74@comcast.net
>TR6   1974 CF22956U
>TR3A 1960 TS70951L
>http://hometown.aol.com/twodzusfittings/myhomepage/auto.html

Brian Borgstede                               !
Distance Learning Engineer         !
University of Missouri - St. Louis  !  '68 Triumph TR-250
Phone: (314)516-6433                  !  (or two or more)
Fax: (314)516-6019                       !
Email: borgstede@umsl.edu      !