Re: Mid-Ohio

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mid-Ohio
From: jdhenn@cfl.rr.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:34:08 US/Eastern
Ladies and Gentleman, I was very fortunate to attend mid-ohio and meet Mike
Cook, Kas Kastner and his wife Peggy, the whole British Racing team members and
some folks from 6-pack and other clubs.  I took loads of pictures and had an
AWESOME time.  I was travelling with Gary Hunter (Zebra TR6) and Jere Dotten
(Blue TR3 with hardtop). We were lucky to be able to attend the private "racers
only" parties and talk to many of the drivers.  Begging does pay!  I have pics
and video of the TR's that got into accident trouble (TR5, and the two TR6's
from Catawba Marina.  I will download to my computer tonite and try and get
them on the web site for everyone to view.  The best part of the trip was being
able to help out in the pits with the British lads and talk about their cars
and racing stories.  It was a miracle what they did to fix that TR5.  I have
the before and after pics.  It took 150 man hours to straighten the frame and
redo the entire front end.  They replaced the radiator with an aluminum one out
of a mustang. Before the last Group 8 race (included the TR6's) on Sunday, Gary
and I helped out John's white fuel injected TR6 with hardtop. He ran out of gas
getting to the fuel pumps so we pushed him up, he forgot his money so we paid
(he reimbursed us later) but then the car wouldn't start. We pushed him into
the garage paddock area and tried to help him start it.  We swapped coils with
the zebra TR6, but no luck.  He was having problems with his ECU.  By that time
the race had started, but John was content that he got to race in the Triumph
Only race earlier that day. He came in 6th place.  We towed him back (with the
zebra TR6 tow vehicle) to the pit area (I wish we had pics of that - everyone
was watching!) and proceeded with John to the cool S-turn to watch the race
with a few beers. He was cheering his lads on to victory.  These guys were so
cool and have a great story that I am going to right up in our local Triumph
newsletter.  The story of their truck transport is incredible (custom built for
this race event).  The lads invited us to their celebration dinner on Sunday
evening and we ended up pounding down the pints at a local bar until the weee
hours.  Truly wonderful folks and we are hoping to persuade them to come to
Sebring next February/March. They seemed very interested!!!  I'll let you all
know when the pics come on board.  Sorry for the rambling but this was an
incredible TRIUMPH event!!!!!!!  and getting to meet and talk with Kas Kastner
was quite memorable. Kas signed autographs for three hours at The Roadster
Factory tent as was truly touched by the whole weekend.  Did I mention The
Roadster Factory brought the special #25 Triumph racecar that was built for
lemans!

Jim henningsen
Kissimmee, FL
75 TR6
80 TR7 (on its way to a new owner in Texas)
80 TR8 (x2) I know I need counseling!