Fwd: Re: Upgraded plug wires & ?s re Distributor Advance &

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: Upgraded plug wires & ?s re Distributor Advance &
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:08:43 -0700 (PDT)
The problem you are referring to with you XR700 may have to do with
"phasing" of the shutter and infrared unit in relation to the rotor arm
position.  I read about this last night in the most recent Grassroots
Motorsports magazine.  They did a comparison of a Pertronix, a Crane
unit, and some other setups on a carburated Volvo with a dizzy that has
mechanical points as the stock setup.  They mentioned something about
making sure that the rotor arm is positioned in just the write place
(directly below the #1 pickup on the dizzy cap) when setting the static
timing using a Crane unit.  Crane apparently recommends using an old
dizzy cap with a hole cut in the #1 pickup location to get everything
just right.  I'm still trying to understand all the details, but maybe
this is the problem you are having.  Theoretically, if your phasing is
off, the Crane unit could be triggering the coil to fire when the rotor
is a bit far from #1 pickup.  Not a big deal at idle, but it could get
worse at higher engine speeds as mechanical advance builds.  At that
point, perhaps the rotor arm could be far enough away from #1 on the
distributor cap that it causes a misfire.  Then again, I could be
completely wrong here.  I still can't figure out exactly what
Grassroots was getting at....

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6