RE: shilling of eBay TR cars?

To: "'corey.sherman@rcn.com'" <corey.sherman@rcn.com>, 6Pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: shilling of eBay TR cars?
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:13:11 -0500
re shilling, I suspect that it does occur (and not just with TRs). But for
anybody who seriously wants to sell their car, it probably backfires.

First, if a high "shill" bid wins the auction, the seller hasn't sold the
car, but still owes the listing fee to E-Bay.

second, experienced bidders (me, for example) won't bid against newbies
and/or shills because of the risk that they're inflating the price with no
intention of buying (whether through complicity or ignorance)

I agree that there's a lot of auto bidding on E-Bay by newbies, I suspect
it's because the auto auction section attracts people (especially younger
bidders) who don't have much interest in the rest of E-Bay.

The way to "beat" shilling is to simply have a good idea of what you want to
bid for the car ... and don't go any higher.

I've bought four cars on E-Bay. But I don't get into a bidding war with
newbies (hey, I'd bid $1 million for a car to win an auction ... if I had no
intention of paying it!).

With two of the cars, I either didn't bid or wasn't the high bidder. I sent
a follow-up e-mail to the seller expressing my interest if the deal didn't
fell through (and in two cases it did). I bought a TR6 in Indiana that way
(less than 4k) and a Mazda Protege in the D.C. area (bid on behalf of my
16-year-old niece; it's her first car.)

that said, some auctions where I've followed up where the bidder was a
newbie, the deal did indeed go through.

But I agree that it's easy for the unwary to get suckered in by a lot of
bidding on E-bay and think "oh, this car is hot," when it's not -- or when
the bidding is by people doing it for entertainment. That's a big problem
for the E-Bay system and I don't know how they can fix it.

--Graham