ammeter, starter questions, note re jaguars

To: "Triumph Six-Pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: ammeter, starter questions, note re jaguars
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:14:56 -0500
Hello,

when I first start my new '72 TR6, the ammeter pegs far over on the "charge"
side -- literally off the scale. It relatively quickly returns to a normal
state -- ie slight charging. Causes? Comments? Should I do anything?

also, I'm noting that my starter is sometimes reluctant to crank. I haven't
yet done the "clean all the connections" routine. plus, occasionally, it
doesn't engage the ring gear.

on my old '69, the failure to engage problem was solved with a couple of
shims on the starter mounting to line up the gears properly.

any thoughts?

thanks.

Graham

ps: an amusing british car note: I just bought a 1987 Jaguar XJ6 on E-Bay,
which I adore, but it has exactly the same cheesy rheostat for the
instrument lights as used on our Triumphs, combined with the same wimpy
lighting levels for the gauges. I love it!