RE: Fan switch

To: peterz@merak.com
Subject: RE: Fan switch
From: tr6nut@telocity.com
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:13:50 -0700 (PDT)
On my '73 TR6, I use a Porsche 944 thermo fan switch
that I purchased from Performance Products.  Its their
Hi-Performance switch, which turns on at a lower
temperature than the regular 944 switch.  I used the
metal "T" fitting in the top radiator hose which
formerly housed the distributor thermo switch ('72 to
'74 TR6s).  All I had to do was rethread the "T" to a
metric thread. Works great.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Peter Zaborski wrote

activate
> > it.  I am interested in installing an automatic
> > thermostatic switch in the radiator...
>
> Tim,
>
> I have this set up on my car. The switch I'm using is
from a first
> generation Honda Prelude. These a re common in junk
yards where I live so
> getting the fitting was not a problem - it's a metric
thread that was hard
> to locate locally. I believe this switch turns on at
a lower temp compared
> to the typical switches most modern cars use since
they are designed to run
> hotter than older cars.
>
> A few points to consider:
>
> - The bottom of the radiator has cooler fluid than
the top so ideally it's
> probably best to install the switch in the top tank
(but that looks uglier).
> FWIW, mine is in the bottom tank.
>
> - The switch mounted in the return pipe *might*
affect coolant flow since
> it's in a much smaller channel than if it's in the
tank. I don't know for
> sure and probably I'm being overly paranoid but just
thought I'd throw that
> out. Probably the folks who sell this kit have this
all figured out...

> - If you install the thermo switch, keep the manual
switch as well in case
> you ever want to turn on the fan before the thermo
switch closes. The Dan
> Masters book has a pretty good write up of this
including a wiring diagram.

> - While you have the rad out to install the switch
port, add a drain tap so
> changing coolant will no longer require disconnecting
the bottom hose. This