Re: Differential oil seals - easy or hard

To: "\"\\"'\\\"Charlie and Linda Duckworth\\\"
Subject: Re: Differential oil seals - easy or hard
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 09:11:22 -0600
Charlie, I have replaced all the seals on my diff.   For the sides,
remove the 4 bolts holding the plate, stub shaft and flange, and take
both of the assemblies down to a local shop with a 20 ton press minimum
(more is better) who can press the shaft off of the flange cause the
shaft is tapered.  The seal is in the plate and is straightforward to
replace.  Be sure to clean up the shaft so that the seal contacts a
clean shaft.

I will refrain from recommendation on the front pinion seal because the
information I got from the list seems to indicate I may have an older
diff with a castellated pinion nut.  The issue is apparently with pinion
preload affected by this nut.  If I remember correctly, the diff with
the non castellated nut uses a crush collar inside the diff to set the
preload, so it may be tricky to replace the nut without affecting
preload when you try and torque up the nut.  The diff with castellated
nut uses shims so you should be able to torque the nut with no impact to
preload.  So I dont know if this is in issue, but if not the seal is
relatively easy to replace, but again just clean up the shaft with some
emery cloth to make it nice and smooth and if you use the leather seal
let it soak in oil overnight before installing it.

John - 1976 TR6

Charlie wrote:
Has anyone replaced the three oil seals on the TR6 differential?  I have
it out of the car (getting to the drive shaft u-joints) and noticed the
front

and passenger side oil leaks.  Is this someone an average guy can
replace or should I take the differential and seals to a mechanic and
have it done by a pro.