re: Hydraiulic Release

To: Chuck Arnold <Chuck.Arnold@oracle.com>
Subject: re: Hydraiulic Release
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 13:25:34 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I have nothing against Cambridge Motorsports, but I'm pretty sure you can
get the stuff you need to make one of these annular clutch release
bearings for a lot less money.

I just perused over to www.tiltonengineering.com and downloaded the
on-line catalog. It looks like Tilton part number 61-601 is the ticket.

Now, bearing mind that Tilton is not exactly cheap either, the part
won't be free. However, I'll bet you can get that part for something like
in the $150 range.

I also know that Jegs and possibly Summit show a product from another
vendor (the name slips me right now) for under $100 for the part - but you
have to buy the release bearing too, that's another $40 or so, if I
recall.

A major point here is that the TR6 clutch is not that unique, it's
basically an 8.5 inch clutch. The input shaft to the tranny is nothing
unusual, just a 12 spline (or is it 13??) 1" shaft.

Frankly, talking to a local clutch shop will probably yield some sort of
usable information.

Bottom line, these bearings are used in a lot of applications, and racing
is def. one of them.

Good luck!
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |