Ticking Noise from Rear End.

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Ticking Noise from Rear End.
From: Gameparker@cs.com
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 22:16:16 EDT
List,
firstly, thanks to all who gave the advice on my excessive oil consumption.
I will basically monitor the situation for another couple of thousand miles
(no oil on rear valance at this point).  In an effort to say my car runs
flawlessly, I have another potential problem.  If I am driving my car on a
quiet street lined with cars, or next to a barrier wall (so noise is
reflected back to me) and just starting off, I can hear a ticking noise
emanating from the rear wheels/axle area.  Seems to be harmless enough (no
vibration associated with the tick), but it is obviously loud enough to be
heard over the exhaust note.  I have yet to jack up the rear and spin the
wheels, but I wanted to find out if this symptom is indicative of a
particular type of problem.
Thanks and Regards
Geoff Parker
74 TR6