Re: wire wheels and tires with/wo tubes

To: <RedTriumphTr6@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wire wheels and tires with/wo tubes
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:32:10 -0500
> Hey wire wheel boys....I recently purchased a set of Dayton wire
> wheels for my 74.5 tr6; now I want to put some redlines on them
> (probably the Pirelli P4000s in 205/70/15), but I do not know
> whether I need or can put tires with tubes on the wire wheels.
> Any special things to keep in mind when working with wire
> wheels and tubed tires?
>
>        Bob Pierson

Bob, depends on whether your set of Dayton's has sealed spokes or not.  This
is a thick waxy rubber-like yellow coating on the inner part of the rim,
that keeps the the air from leaking out past the spokes when you run without
an inner tube.  I know Jaguar XJS wire wheels from Dayton come with the
sealing so you can mount tubeless tires, but they're also $1500 a set.

Might want to call whomever you purchased those wires from.  British Wire
Wheel should be able to tell you also.  It has been a long time since I've
seen the inside of a new Dayton wire wheel for our LBCs so I can't be any
more specific.

Kai