Emission Control

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Emission Control
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:57:50 -0500
I'm trying to figure out exactly how the emission control on my TR250 works
(same as '69 TR6).  The crankcase breather comes out of the valve cover and
goes into a T connector.  One leg of the T goes into the air cleaner cover
and the other into the emission control valve (ECV).

My main question is how/ what exactly does the ECV do?  Inside the base of
the ECV is a one-way valve that appears to open only when it gets vacuum
from the intake manifold (only at speed, or at idle too?).

In the upper part of the ECV is a spring, a plunger, a diaphragm and a cover
plate.  This appears to close the valve at speed allowing the crankcase to
vent directly into the air cleaner.

Does anybody on the list have an understanding of how this all works?

Thanks,
Peter
'68 TR250