Timing/Idle Questions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing/Idle Questions
From: Gameparker@cs.com
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:36:58 EST
List
Two questions if I may, both sort of related.
1.  I am determined to crack the black art of timing, for me the last great
mystery of TR6-ness.  I have a fast road cam-higher lift, longer duration.
Theoretically speaking, should the static timing be the same as for the stock
or any other cam? (Sorry it is so basic a question...).
2.  My timing as checked with a strobe light at idle is at 8 deg ATDC - no
pinging, runs cool enough and plenty of oomph.  I was given the advice to
disconnect the vacuum retard to curing a slowly increasing idle.  I never got
around to doing this.  On disconnecting it now, and not plugging anything
yet, I expected to hear an increase in idle, but nothing happens.  What do
you think is going on here?  BTW, I hook my toe under the accel pedal and
pull up (also a suggestion for the idle problem), and the idle drops to where
it should be, but when I release the pedal, it increases again.  Viewing the
linkage when this happens, the linkage up to the shaft moves minutely, but
the shaft between the carbs (controlling the throttle plates) do not seem to
move at all.
Thanks in advance for your help,
Geoff Parker