RE: clutch question

To: "'Rob Pennington'" <robp@ncsa.uiuc.edu>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: clutch question
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:53:01 -0500
Rob, I just went through this with my car and fixed it in the past
couple of weeks.  You may have a broken taper pin, but the first thing I
would check is your clutch master and slave cylinders.  If you haven't
replaced these in the past few years or don't know when they were last
replaced then I would go ahead and replace them now. At the very least
you will know that you have a new master and slave.  The parts are
relatively cheap also.

If that doesn't fix it then it's on to pulling the transmission and
checking the taper pin.  A word of caution though: I performed this
operation initially about six months ago, but my problems reoccurred.
Upon removing the taper pin and expecting to find it broken I found
something else.  The taper pin wasn't broken, but BENT.  I had replaced
the clutch cross shaft at the same time and didn't notice that the new
cross shaft didn't allow the taper pin to fully seat into the clutch
fork.

This allowed the taper pin to wobble and lessen clutch throw, but I had
to hone out the cross shaft to allow the new taper pin to fit.  I don't
know if this is a supplier specific problem, but the cross shaft that
was defective came from Moss.

It also doesn't appear to be a lone instance either since one of my
friends helping me with the operation went home to check his out.  He is
doing a body off restoration on his TR250.  He found the same issue with
his cross shaft.

R. Ashford Little II
www.geocities.com/ralittle2