RE: Leaking shifter rod seals

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Leaking shifter rod seals
From: "Russ Pagano" <pagano@home.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 09:10:12 -0500
Cliff,
    I just looked at two gearboxes I had in the basement and they do indeed
have a single vent on the tailpiece. It is located on top just to the right
of the casting seam about 3" from the back of the main gearbox housing and
the diameter of a 4d nail. You can see if this is clogged but chances are
your shifter rod seals are worn.
    A couple thoughts related to other list gearbox threads. Moss lists the
uprated steel bushes for earlier gearboxes as NA. Victoria British used to
have an uprated steel 2nd gear tophat bush (their part# 2-8421 which is a
direct replacement for the bronze bush) but no longer lists them although
last time I checked they still had a few in stock. You can still upgrade to
the latest steel bushes but have to change most of the gear clusters. Last
time I talked to John Esposito of Quantum mechanics he could sell you
everything you need to do that at what I thought was a reasonable price. I
went with the steel tophat from VB since I could get one and had success (at
least so far!).
    The main and countershaft gears don't need to be matched pairs per say
but do need to matched as far as type of gear (number and type of tooth
bevel).
    Finally, I have read from other sources that GL5 will deteriorate brass.
I've been able to find plenty of GL4 at local auto part chain stores.
Russ Pagano
71 TR6
Columbia, MD
Triumphs Around the Chesapeake www.TRACltd.org