oder in the trunk - update.

To: "6 Pack Digest" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: oder in the trunk - update.
From: "Gary & Natalie Erbse" <ncbucki@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:22:39 -0500
First let me thank all the good folks that E-mailed me all the possible
solutions. This group and the list are just great.
 I opened the trunk and closed it with the new Roadster Factory Christmas gift
Idea book between the seal and the lid. First I started with three pages, then
six, then ten. They all pulled out much too easy. in opening and closing the
lid about twenty times, I noticed that the lid could be lifted about 1/8"
before the latch released. By lifting the lid, I could slide the entire TRF
book into the trunk.
 So, I have determined that as I was sailing down the roads, my trunk lid was
also sailing. It was lifting up and letting those deadly fumes into the
trunk.
 Then I looked up under the lid and I could see black traces of exhaust on the
left rear corner about 6" to the inside of the seal. My car being saffron
(yellow) the traces were quite evident.

THE FIX - I removed the latch hook from the lid and shortened the height by
1/8". Now the trunk has to be slammed somewhat but it stays closed. Three
pages of the book are snug to the pull. I feel that this stinky problem is
history. Finally.

 I cleaned the lid of all the exhaust film and now the test begins. I will
tuck my tux in the trunk and bet it will be fresh and ready to wear the next
time I wash the LBC.