I've (Had) that same smell.

To: "6 Pack Digest" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: I've (Had) that same smell.
From: "Charlie and Linda Duckworth" <iiv000@mail.connect.more.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:45:53 -0600
My own TR6 had a gas smell and I noticed that when I filled the tank it
would leak just enough around the top gasket to allow a little gas to seep
out.  As you all are aware it doesn't take much gas at all to smell up the
interior/trunk and garage.  I wasn't in the mood (nor had the time) to pull
the tank out so I removed the trunk liner and ran some gasket sealer around
the front and back of the gasket and let it dry.  Might try this as a quick
fix to see if the gasket isn't sealing well enough.  My gas smell went away.

Charlie
1976 TR6 (with a newly installed water pump)