Mity-Vac vs SBP

To: <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mity-Vac vs SBP
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 05:16:08 -0600
A really common problem with use of the Mity-Vac is the poor seal of the
bleeder in its threads.  When you open the bleeder valve, air can readily
sneak in through the bleeder threads, and make you think you're sucking an
endless supply of air out of the hydraulics.  To alleviate this, before
bleeding the system unscrew each bleed nipple a few threads and then smear a
little brake grease (silicone ignition grease works great too) onto the
threads and then close the nipple.  Then when you use the Mity-Vac, the grease
will seal the threads and the Mity-Vac will be pulling fluid and air out of
the system like it's supposed to.

Seems to me the biggest problem with the SBP is the price and all the space it
takes.  I've had mine for nearly 30 years and I bleed brakes so seldom...  A
Mity Vac fits in the tool box better too, but the kids still prefer that we
keep the SBP   ;-)

Karl Vacek
'66 TR4A
'68 TR250