Re: U-joints

To: "Brad ." <brad1184@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: U-joints
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:00:22 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Brad . wrote:

>   Hi

Hi.

> I am in the process of cleaning up my rear drive shafts. I'm having some
> trouble taking apart the u joints, in my manual it says after the circlips
> are removed, then to tap on the u joints and they should come out. This
> doesn't seem to be working to well, is there an easier way to get them out?

Well, this is a case where the manual is a bit "optimistic".

I've had fairly good luck supporting the assembly on a pair of 2X4's and
then placing a fairly large socket (7/8" seems to come to mind) and then
striking the socket with a 3 lb. hammer. The cups will work out...

Another method that works fairly well is to place the assembly in a vise
(6 inch or larger) with a smaller socket that'll sit in the hole and
another that's bigger than the hole (see 7/8" reference above). You then
use the vise like a press.

The problem with both methods is that the inside cross of the u-jion will
"hang up" on the casting for the yoke or the other side before the u-joint
bearing cup is fully "out", so you then have to grab the cup with a big
hefty pair of pliers and "have at it". They'll come out eventually.

I built a "jig" out of angle steel to support the axle in my vise so I
could push both end-caps out in two operations, but it's fairly hard to
start this job with only two hands. High on the list of "tools" is to get
a hydraulic press  for this job.

Another mentioned option is to bring the axle assembly to a brake/wheel
shop and have them do the job. Much less aggrivation and for around $35
each, you just bolt 'em back in. These shoppes will even balance the
assembly if you ask them.

BTW, if you really want to see your automotive friends cringe, invite them
over when you do this job. If you whack on the axle yoke directly, you can
get the u-joint caps out, but you run the risk of creating lots of neat
little stress risers that can propagate into cracks... I recommend against
this operation as a safety item, but I'll be honest and admit I've done
this myself once or twice.

> Thanx
>    Brad
> 71 TR6

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |