RE: DOT5 survey

To: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Subject: RE: DOT5 survey
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:01:24 -0500
I didn't want to get too in-depth with my first reply, as I seem to be able
to do that pretty easily.  You are correct the glycol-based fluids are
hygroscopic and absorb water.  This water can boil, lowering your brake
fluid boiling point in use, or cause corrosion internally in
storage.  Using silicone, then, the water would rise or sink in the system
and gather in one spot and corrode that area...or this seems to be what
would happen.  However, I've talked to a lot of people who store their cars
for a long time and have not changed their silicone fluid in a decade and
have never had any corrosion issues...so my guess is that the water is not
in contact with areas that corrode easily or the silicone forms a barrier
on the metal...just a guess, there though, on the last point.

By law, all DOT brake fluid must be compatible...ie, if you mix, your
brakes still work. This is not to recommend the practice by any stretch (ie
don't do it on purpose)..just to say that if you do mix, your brakes will
not suddenly stop working and cause a catastrophe.  Sorry if that was unclear.

William Whitmoyer
69 TR6
90 BMW iX
91 CRX Si