Re: Rough Idle

To: "6pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rough Idle
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:49:18 -0400
Cliff,

My bet is an electrical problem.  Swap out the wire on #5 to see if the
wire is a problem.  Next, swap out the plug.  If these measures don't
work, check the distributor cap.

If you still have the problem, it may be time to pull the valve cover off
and see that the valves are moving.

Let us know.

Peter Macholdt
'68 TR250

>Dear 6 pack,
>Yesterday while enjoying probably the last ride
>before Winter sets in,
>I suddenly noticed that my 73 TR6 started to run
>rough. When I got home I did the usual trouble
>shooting, ignition first, while the car was
>running I pulled, one at a time, the leads from
>each plug.
>I discovered the # 5 didn't change RPM when
>pulled. Checked the plug and it was badly fouled,
>cleaned it and before reinstalling it checked to
>see if it sparked, it did. After installing it
>again the
>problem was still there, nothing from the # 5. The
>fact that all other cylinders are good leads me to
>valves rather than fuel? Could it be anything else
>that I missed?
>Thanks,
>Cliff
>73 TR6