Problems with setting the dwell

To: "6pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Problems with setting the dwell
From: "JPHaeg" <haeg1@mninter.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:47:10 -0500
First a little background info:
I've owned my car (75 TR6) for about one year now. The engine has always run
well during that time, so this has given me the opportunity to do a lot of
sorely needed mechanical improvements to the rest of the car. Lately the car
started to hesitate and physically buck when trying to accelerate. This
condition was more prevalent in the lower 2 gears, and when the engine was
warmed up.
My first assumption was the carburetors, but I replaced the old fuel lines,
drained the gas tank of old fuel, rebuilt the fuel pump, replaced the fuel
filter, added oil to the carburetor reservoirs, and did an ignition tune up
first. The car seems to run better, but I'm still chasing the hesitation from
the engine.

My questions:
1) While setting the points, my dwell meter measured 42 degrees. I widened the
gap on the points, and it fell to 40 degrees. My book and the sticker inside
the engine compartment say 34-36 degrees. I then open the points much wider
than the specified .016" (I could bounce the feeler gauge between the
contacts), and the lowest I could make the dwell read was 38 degrees.
Does anyone have some thoughts on this?

2) I'm going to try new rubber diaphragms in the carbs before I go to a full
rebuild. I was told on this list that a hesitation can be caused by low oil in
the top reservoir, so I topped off the oil to the proper level (resistance
observed 1/2" from seating the cap). I have noticed that every time I check
this oil level it is down. Is this common, or is it a sign of some problem.

3) Any other thoughts on the low rpm hesitation when I try accelerating in low
gears with a warm engine?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

John H. in Minneapolis.
PS: Not too many more top down driving days here in Minnesota. The weather
guys are already talking about the first snow fall of the season. I figure a
month at best.