Fuel Pump

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel Pump
From: StuBeatty@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:32:29 EDT
I have had some fuel problems since rebuilding my engine in 1998. I now have
three carbs, about 9.5:1 comp, headers etc. My problem is that coming to a
stop after any prolonged running (ie the exit ramp off a highway) the revs
drop down to under 500, the cars starts to shake and will stall if I don't
pump the gas pedal. The revs do not go back to normal. I either have to keep
the gas pedal slightly depressed or pull the choke out a little to keep the
revs up close to 1000. I think the stock fuel pump can no longer keep up with
the needs of the rebuilt engine. This problem is less severe if I am just
driving around town.

I would like some suggestions and recommendations for a good replacement fuel
pump.
Are there any pumps that can be installed in the engine compartment as
opposed to near the fuel tank? Does the old pump have to stay attached to the
engine? Since the rebuild, the engine timing has changed considerably and the
tach drive from the distributor crosses directly overtop of the existing fuel
pump, so I would like to remove it if possible.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated

Just came back from the Toronto Triumph Club's 18th annual British Car Day.
It is quite an event. There were over 1000 cars in attendance. This is down a
little from last year as many American enthusiasts stayed home because of
border delays and problems brought about by last week's tragedy. There had to
be at least 50 TR6's on display. If you ever get the opportunity to come
north for this show, you will not be disappointed, it's not often you will
see this many British cars in one place in one day.

Stuart Beatty
76 Carmine
Belleville, Ontario