Re: Fwd: Toyota Release Bearing in TR6 (snipped again)

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: Toyota Release Bearing in TR6 (snipped again)
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:27:38 -0400
Hi Folks,

For what it's worth, a few months back I suggested that the pilot bushing
not be allowed to spin in its bore in the flywheel.  In my mind it goes
against reason when comparing the TR6 clutch arrangement to the numerous
other foreign and domestic clutch systems that I've worked on.  One
British shop that I questioned agreed and suggested I add a knurl to the
new pilot bushing.  This can be accomplished by lightly sandwiching the
bushing in a vise between two coarse files.  Tapping one file with a
hammer will cause the bushing to roll along the surface of the two files
and displace bushing material thus making a tighter fit upon insertion
into the flywheel.  Peening will effectively do the same thing.

Good luck,
Jay Welch, Abington MA
1971 TR6 project, 1973 TR6 "Driving it hard"
Member "Cape Cod British Car Club" @
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/