K&N filter oil

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: K&N filter oil
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:07:27 -0500
  Grrrrreeetings,
         It's still mighty cold in the northeast today. Perfect,
considering all the work still to do on the 6. I've come across a new
pair of K&N air filters to install and was wondering, without getting
into the exact chemical make-up, carbon dating, and cosmic breakdown of
K&N filter oil, what would work for oiling the filters ?? The
instructions mention NOT to use motor oil, transmission fluif, wd-40 -
or any other light weight oil. My yankee heritage dictates that I remain
frugal and use something I have in the shop for this task. K&N filter
oil is not one of those things, and quite frankly, I'll be damned if I'm
gonna buy any.What alternatives are being used for this purpose, as I
have a vast array of penetrants, lubricants and snake oils.
       Thanks for any input on this one. Now, back to the
sanding.......yech !
Kevin D. Thompson
Cape Cod British Car Club