Carb bottom plug update

To: 6PACK-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Carb bottom plug update
From: "Walt Fogle" <foglew@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 19:31:52
Dear Listers:

Afer applying copius amounts of WD40 around the brass plug I was able to
remove it from the bottom of the carb this morning.  All I can figure is
that the rubber O-ring was so dried out (possibly not lubed upon insertion
years ago) that it was stuck tightly in the bottom hole and I was unable to
turn the plug in it's theads.  The floats in this carb differ slightly in
appearance from those in the rear carb possibly indicating an earlier
rebuild.  The threads on the plug and in the carb body appear in good shape
so reinsertion won't be a problem.

Incidentally, I was able to remove the plug from the other (rear) carb quite
easily.  I also sprayed WD40 around that plug.

I'm documenting all this with photographs so I hope to have them available
for the archives when the rebuild is completed.

Of course I had to go to Home Depot this morning to buy a 3/8" blade
screwdriver to remove the plug.  I also ended up having to use large Channel
Lock pliers as well.  Not quite the way I wanted it to happen but now it's
on to the next phase of the rebuild.

Hope this helps anyone else out there with a similar concern.  Thanks and
best regards,

Walt Fogle
'69 TR6, CC30689L
Woodinville, WA