Bob Greene's Carb Questions

To: "6 Pack Digest" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bob Greene's Carb Questions
From: "John Phillips" <TR6@vigoris.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:55:16 -0600
  In anticipation of this session I have ordered a "master rebuild
kit" (Moss).

 The kit probably does not contain idle bypass valve diaphragms or new
throttle shafts or O rings for the needle in the air valve so beware.

Before I placed my order,  I was told by a friend to order
Gross Jets? I talked to a couple  suppliers that recommended that I stay
away from these gross jets.
    My question is. Why do two people recommend them. Then two supply
houses say "stay away". Is there a coincidence that these two supply
houses do not stock gross jets?
    What is the real deal?
I have used both with good results.  My car (a 76) has the Gross jets and I
have had no problems.

Also part of my carb rebuild, I wanted to finish what age & the PO had
started. I have a bad air distribution  rail, air pump and missing
emission stuff. (Maintaining the charcoal filter canister & hoses).
Rather than to replace the costly rusty air rail can I,
A: simply remove the air distribution rail? Yes, mine is gone.

Air pump is already gone.
    If so I would like to fill the threaded holes in the exhaust
manifold. I would like to use a allen head type of plug. Any one done
this? If so, do you know the thread size?  Sounds like a good idea.  I don't
know how my PO plugged the exhaust manifold.

B: Can I also remove the EGR valve?  Yes, again, mine is gone.
    If so is it just a simply plug at the block and the Intake manifold?
You got it.  Mine is brass

    What do I do with the small vacuum line that runs from the rear
carb. to the EGR valve.  Plug it at the carb with another brass plug or
rubber cap, depending on your preference.
    Should I anticipate problems with this plan?  My car runs fine but it
does run a little lean.  Could be because of the modifications.
C: Where can I purchase a "Posidrive" Screwdriver for the ZS carbs?  Sears.

Bob Greene

John Phillips, Claremore, OK
Green Country Triumphs & Jaguar Enthusiasts Club
76 TR6 CF51655   89 XJS Convertible
 http://www.greencountrytriumphs.com/