Re: headers v dual racing exhaust

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: headers v dual racing exhaust
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:02:01 -0800 (PST)
Adding headers most definitely will increase your power output.  Adding
a noisy free flow exhaust alone will do very little to affect power
output, the stock TR exhaust system is not high in back pressure, you'd
probably only gain one or two horses with exhaust alone.  Check the
dyno plots done by Triumph in the 70s (Triumph TR250/6 Competition Prep
Manual by Kas Kastner).  Also, you'll do better (in terms of power)
with a single big bore exhaust system (2.5 inch all the way down the
car) than with a dual exhaust system, once again according to the dyno
testing done by Triumph in the 70s.  Rimmer Brothers makes a great kit
which I installed on my car last year.  It is a very nicely made
stainless steel header with a 2.5" collector and feeds into a 2.5"
stainless exhaust pipe that runs all the way down the car into a single
stainless sport free flow muffler that has a 2.5" inlet and 2.5 inch
beautiful polished stainless tip.  The sound is great, not loud and
droaning as many TR6 free flow exhausts are (Monza!!).  The header fit
beautifully.  I bought the system during one of Rimmer's yearly free
shipping  promos.  Cost was around $400, very reasonable considering
it's a full exhaust system with header and is stainless which should
last forever.  I had a Monza "Quick Trip" header before this, cheap but
a devil to fit, lots of modification needed, combined with a Monza dual
system.  Total cost for those two was probably over $300, and it was
just too loud.  When I replaced the stock exhaust manifold with the
Monza header, I definitely felt an increase in power.  But, if all
you're looking for is a nice sound, I would go with the Falcon
Stainless dual exhaust system that TRF sells.

Also, those roll bars that install behind the front seats don't do much
in a rollover crash.  Only a full race-type roll cage will truly
protect you.  Besides, you'd have to try pretty hard to flip a TR6.
It's not an Explorer!

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6