Re: Clutch accessories

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch accessories
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 12:12:22 -0500
Dick, et al,

I'm looking at an invoice from Jan 30, '97.  Reference the TRF catalog Vol
1, page 151.

I'd ordered the Borg and Beck complete kit, TRF #RFK226, then priced at
$149.95.  This kit "should" have included all three major components, that
is, the pressure plate #215422, the driven plate #148402, and the TO bearing
#GRB211.  (For the record, I also ordered a new fork and operating shaft as,
of course, the original pin broke and I had to cut the shaft to get
everything disassembled.)

TRF substituted another TO bearing and separately listed it on the invoice.
The part number is HP122 with the origin listed as JA.  The unit price at
the time was $59.95 but on the invoice it was listed as NO CHARGE.  In
actuality, the price difference is not $50 as you suggest but rather about
$17 higher as the single price of the GRB211 (from TRF's latest download
price spreadsheet) is $44.95 while the HP122 is listed at $61.75.

Like I'd said earlier, my TO is made in Japan and it looks like maybe TRF
provided the upgraded unit.  As I recall, this was about the time that lots
of guys on the Triumph list were complaining about TO bearing failures.  TRF
never explained the reasoning for upgrading the bearing but then, I wasn't
about to complain, either.

I mounted the TO bearing to a new sleeve at the time.  To install it, I
used, believe it or not, TRF's front spring compressor tool in order to give
the bearing the ability to spin whilst it was pushed on the nose of the
sleeve.  Went on with little effort.

The chirp was irritating.  I'd thought of the contact fingers, too, as
inspection of the old driven plate indicated a bit of wear on some of them
next to each other.  Funny, though, that it didn't do it from the beginning
but rather waited until about 400 miles. The old clutch didn't chirp before
I disassembled it but I'm not sure how many miles were actually on it as it
came with the car when I bought it.

Now to make this more complicated, I replaced the post restoration, rebuilt
tranny with another rebuilt tranny w/J OD at 700 miles.  I reused same TO
bearing, fork, etc. but didn't notice any "wear" on the pressure plate
fingers at the time.  The chirp, however, went away shortly thereafter.

New clutch action is normal at the moment..........fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Gary