RE: Removal of 74-76 TR6 (USA) bumper guards

To: "6 Pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Removal of 74-76 TR6 (USA) bumper guards
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:17:07 -0700

Here is what I did on my 76:

1. The fronts can be removed with the bumper in place. The rears require the
bumper to come off.

2. The front ones require some care in removing the rubber pieces once the
bolts are loosened in order to not scratch up the chrome on the bumper. I
suggest once the bolts are off, have a helper pull the rubbers gently
forward as you "spread" the mounting bracket. You'll know what I meant once
you start doing it. The idea is to prevent the rubbers (and metal plates
underneath) from "clamping" down on the bumper chrome and scratching it.

3. The rears are more straightforward to remove but you'll want to fabricate
some metal spacers to make up for the loss of the brackets (the rear
brackets are quite large). I used 1/4" aluminum stock cut to the approximate
size of the pressed "boss" on the rear valance panel where the bumper
mounts. Again, you'll know what I mean once you have the bumper off.

4. Some plugs should be used to seal the holes you leave behind. I used some
black plastic ones my Dad had from his VW westafalia van. But this is your
choice of course. That's for the front bumper only. The rear has no holes to
plug.

5. While you're at it, get rid of that ugly lump of a front plate holder (if
you're lucky enough to live where front plates are not required that is).
You'll save a few pounds of dead weight there and clean up the front of the
car even more.

As for lowering the bumpers and using the old signal lights, I didn't do
this as I prefer the 75 lights myself so that's what I used. I think the
later front valance panel has to be cut to provide a mounting hole for the
early lights. If you do this, you might want to investigate going all the
way and using Euro spec early signal lights. These are half amber, half
clear and look way better than the all orange ones IMO. Also, they are
functionally better/nicer in that they have 2 bulbs each, one for the park
lights (or city/side lights) and one for the actual turn function. The park
lights use the clear lens and the turn lights use the orange lens. (Look in
any of the $$$ UK classic car mags for a picture of a Euro spec TR6 and
you'll see what I mean).

> I can't be the first TR6 owner that hates these ugly bumper
> guards.

Don't know if you're not the first, but you're definitely not the only one
:-)

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO
(about 40 lbs lighter without the rubber 'boobs' and brackets)