Holiday Driving, spark plugs & clutches

To: "6 pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Holiday Driving, spark plugs & clutches
From: "Rex R. Townsend" <rrt@connectexpress.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 21:41:43 -0800
Hi All,
    We just got back into the real world after spending the Christmas
holidays in Victoria, British Columbia.  My wife found a package deal at the
Empress Hotel and it was really super.  Victoria of course, even in the
winter, has more than a normal amount of British cars on road so it is even
fun for a gear head like me.  Can't wait to go back there in the spring with
the TR - they have some British car events there every year.  But, anyway,
we get back home to Washington state and my son is celebrating his 18th
birthday on the 28th.  Guess what, on his special day he wants nothing more
than to take his girlfriend out in the old TR6 (instead of his bright red
IROC Camaro!).  Kind of makes me all jelly inside!
    Reading the digests for the past few days, I see some comments about
spark plugs.  I put my vote in for NGK plugs.  I've great luck with these in
TR6s for many, many years.  I believe that the correct heat range is "6"
(i.e. BP6ES) but I've also run a step colder ("7") with no problem with
fouling.  In a pinch, I also ran Autolite plugs once and these worked at
least as well as the OEM Champions.
    Clutches.  I've been running the Saab pressure plate/Toyota Land Cruiser
throwout bearing combo that I bought from British Parts NW and its really
great!  This is the same combo that TRF calls their "Magic" clutch, only
BPNW had everything in stock while TRF was doing the backorder bit.  I've
got about 10,000 miles on it so far and everything still works as new.  By
the way, Santa (Mrs. Claus) said that she tried to buy the stuff on my
Christmas list at TRF, but every single item was back ordered so she also
used British Parts NW and had everything within a couple of days.

Happy new year to all!
Rex Townsend ('69 TR6)
Bainbridge Island, WA