RE: It's been a while (Hard Starting)

To: 6pack-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: It's been a while (Hard Starting)
From: Jim Hurley <hurls@world.std.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:16:52 -0500
Hello,

I had a similiar problem about a year ago. The car would start wonderfully
if it sat for a while (more than an hour), no matter what the temp or
weather. It might even re-start once. But most times, after a little run,
it would refuse to start. Go away for a while, and it would start right up.

The culprit was the distributor shaft bushings. They had worn out, allowing
the shaft to move from side to side. Obviously, this goofed up the point
settings, causing the poor starting.

The best part of the story is that my friend and mechanic, Jeff Jones of
Allston, Mass, rebuilt the distributor in about 20 minutes, using an old
spare body. This included putting it back into the car. The car started
right up even though he did NOT re-time the ignition!!! A true master.
Thank god for Jeff.

Ciao,

Jim Hurley                      "Life is too short for a backfire!"
'75 TR6
'83 F350 4 Door