Re: Aluminum finned rear brake drums-TR250/6

To: LaJoMor@aol.com
Subject: Re: Aluminum finned rear brake drums-TR250/6
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 17:05:24 -0800 (PST)
Larry---If I knew how you use your car I could be more objective here.
Since I don't, I'll just list what I believe to be the pros and cons.
PROS-
a) Less unsprung weight on the rear axles b) faster recovery of brake
shoes and drums, after repeated (panic) stops

CONS-
a) cost
b) probable machine work for installation, and sorting out the package.

Since so much of the braking is done by the front discs (A reason that
most new cars only carry them up front) the rears aren't subject to
enough heat to warrant this change, unless you intend to track race it.
If you want the car to look better, these finned and shiny drums will
help  satisfy this urge.  For my money, I have found the upgrade to
METALMASTER pads up front (formerly Repco) will give superior, repeated
stopping power over the stock pads, as evidenced by participating in
some local slaloms. Others who may have these aluminum rear drums may be
able to add some items to the PRO column. (And CON!)

I think I saw these listed in TRF's performance pages.

Dick T.
L.A.