Re: compression pressure

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: compression pressure
From: DeLoera56@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:26:06 EST
Dick

    I read your response to Steve with great interest, especially finding
that his compression in his '72 is comparable to my '71.

    My '71 TR6 has 69,000 miles and runs reasonably well, with the exception
of occasional oil fouling of one or two plugs. A recent inspection of a week
old set of plugs showed that there was oil fouling on three of six cylinders,
the head removal is inevitable.

1.  Is it common with Triumph engines to pass oil around the valve stems and
the guides?

2.  Does the TR-6 engine use valve guide seals?  I haven't seen any listed or
shown in the repair manuals (Bentley).

3.  What is the most effective method to resolve the oil fouling?

4.  If the stock compression ratio is 7.75:1, how much material must be
removed to increase the ratio to say 8.5:1? Is  there a computation that can
be made to determine this?

Thanks
Steve
'71 TR6