Re: Gear box oil change

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gear box oil change
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 09:41:09 -0700 (PDT)
There is a drain plug on the bottom of the gearbox which should have a
regular hex head (on my car, it is a 3/4" SAE head and it has a
magnetic bit on it that collects metal shavings inside the gbox).  The
fill plug is on the side of the gearbox, driver side.  It has a small
square head, which you can remove with a 7/16" wrench.  Refill the
gearbox using an oil pump available at most auto parts stores.  Don't
know what to make of a GL4/GL5 oil.  The safest bet is to go with a
straight GL4 only.  You can order this stuff by the quart from TRF if
you can't find it locally.  Oh, make sure you don't pull the drain plug
until you can find and remove the fill plug, otherwise you could be SOL
(i.e. empty gearbox and no way to drive the car to a mechanic for help
if you need it).

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

http://photos.yahoo.com/