Re: Soft top snaps

To: Mark Creamer <mcreamer@cinci.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Soft top snaps
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 20:28:20 -0400
Mark,
My new '74.5 TR6 had white male & female snaps on the reflective stripe.
All other snaps, both male & female were black. I bought a '75 TR6 in
'77 used with the original top and it had a both white and black female
and male snaps. I assumed the black ones had been replaced. The local
dealer, Import Cars in Columbus, GA had a little box of white and black
male & female snaps. The parts/service guy told me the white ones were
originally fitted to the tops around the reflective stripe, but they
oxidized badly and didn't hold up. He recommended replacing them with
black snaps. He did the job for $.50 a snap.
I don't know why I remember this so well after 23 years, but I remember
being fascinated by the little tool he used to fit the female snaps, and
how quickly and expertly he removed the rear stiffener and finished the
job. I thought the top was riveted to the body back there for some
reason.
My '74 sales brochure clearly shows white male & female snaps on a
French Blue TR6.
I feel very certain all the late US cars had white snaps because of the
white reflective stripe.
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO