Motor and tranny are out

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Motor and tranny are out
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 23:16:15 -0400
Greetings all.
   Well, the big pieces are out and on blocks on the floor. Thanks to
all who responded with advice and words of wisdom. Several folks
mentioned the fact that the engine plate prevents removal of the crank
shaft when attatched to an engine stand, so I'm having a friend at work
help me make a plate out of aluminum with a slot cut out to overcome
this. When I'm done with the motor rebuild I'll loan this out to those
on the list in need. May be a few weeks, may be after I'm dead and
buried. This is my first attempt at this stuff. Although, putting in the
column switch for the overdrive that's going in proved more of a
challenge than pulling the engine. Thick wires-narrow spaces......upside
down....etc.
Someone on the list pointed out a great article on clutches written by a
member of the Minnesota Triumphs Car Club in which it was pointed out
that Borg & Beck pressure plates may not be the way to go, and advised
to use the Laycock instead. Tonight I pulled out the B&B and found a
used Laycock in my pile of spare parts. Would I be wise to clean the
rust off this pressure plate and go with some other clutch disc and the
Landcruiser throw out bearing ? Are laycock clutch discs still
available?Any problems I should look for when fitting the used pressure
plate ? So far all components have come apart easily when I adhere to
the advise and experiences of list members. Front hub and pulley almost
fell off when removed with an air impact wrench and a tap with a rubber
mallet. Dan Masters electrical manual is proving to be indispensable as
well. Later this week, with the motor on the stand, I get to open it up
and see what the hell all the racket is. I'm doing all the
bearings,rings and the thrust washers at least. Hopefully the shafts are
O.K.
Best regards,
Kevin
CF55588U and almost O