Re: Tyres Chewer

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tyres Chewer
From: "Cameron Greig" <tr6greig@globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:23:37 +0100

----------
>From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
>To: Cameron Greig <tr6greig@globalnet.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: Tyres Chewer
>Date: Tue, Jun 27, 2000, 4:11 pm

Bob wrote,

> I'm not sure I understood the point of your message. I understand that
> the Revington TR springs made your car sit differently, but you were not
> very specific as to how.

The Revington springs raised the front of the car so it's about 10 to 15 mm
higher than the rear,but they also firmed the front up considerably.I am
using adjustable Konis all round,set one off their softest setting.

> The general point that I made about TR's sitting a "bit high" in the rear
> had deeper meaning. If you corner weight a big TR, you'll find that the
> weight is a bit greater in the front... by raising the rear a "tad", you
> get the car much closer to 50/50 weight distribution. Now, in my book, a
> 50/50 car will handle better than a 51/49 or 52/48 car (like most of the
> stock big TRs.)

I agree with the theory,I just hated the feel. The guy who sold me the car
demonstrated its handling and throw it into corners in a way I could never
fell comfortable in doing,it's just down to personal preferences.

> On you point about tires, over here most of race on tires that are
> considerably larger than the 195 tires that you mentioned. I run either
> 225/55-15's on my streetable car (SCCA F Street Prepared) or 9 inch
> "slicks" (size would be "roughly" 220/45-15) on my "real race car". These
> tire/suspension packages handle _amazingly better_ than the tires that I
> had on one of the cars when new... over 25 years ago. For example - the
> radial "DOT" tires over here require something like less than half the
> turn-in steering input than the "real street tires". The effect is so
> dramatic, that the first race I was in I spun the car out (several times)
> because I turned in "too hard". But now that I'm used to those tires, I
> wouldn't trade them for anything. Well, I would trade them for better
> tires - but I haven't found those yet!
>
> I guess it's a preference thing.

.

I agree it's a preference thing.I prefer a ROAD car that will slid a little
in a predictable and controlled manor when really pushed, rather than
a car with more rubber on the road that if it does let go it happens
suddenly and with little warning.I won't argue that your method will be
quick from A to B but,for me personally, I'm much happier with a
nice light handling chuckable TR.

> On the other hand, I'd really like to see some of the cars set up in the
> UK run against some of the cars set up in the USofA to see who really is
> faster. Hmmm,  Triumph will be the featured marque at the Sprint Vintage
> Classic in 2002 A.D. in Mid Ohio here in the US... you guys wanna bring
> some British prepared cars over here to see how they run???

Now that's a good idea,if only there wasn't all that damn water in the way!!

All the Best
Cameron