Replacing Steering Lock & Ignition Switch

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacing Steering Lock & Ignition Switch
From: "Wade Shanley" <wadesh@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 15:43:28 CDT
I'm in the process of replacing the steering lock and ignition switch on a
74 TR6.  While I thought this would be a straight forward project, it's
proving more difficult than I thought.  I can't seem to remove the steering
lock assembly from the steering shaft.  The bolts holding it on are located
on the top of the assembly making it very difficult to get to.  I have a
Bently manual but it gives next to no details for a project like this.  If
anyone has done this and can give me a step by step, I'd appreciate it.

I started this project because the Ignition switch practically fell out of
the back of the unit.  It would only work intermittently.  When I would
start the car, the key would not spring back after turning to the right.  It
would stay in the far right starting position and I would have to manually
turn it back after starting.  Sometimes it wouldn't start at all...only
giving me the warning light.  My guess was to replace the whole steering
lock and ignition switch.