Fwd: More problems

To: 6Pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fwd: More problems
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 04:52:00 -0700 (PDT)
John,
  This may sound stupid, but are your battery connections tight and
clean?  I once had a similar problem.  All the lights came on with the
key, but once I turned to start, I got nothing.  It turned out the
ground strap from the battery wasn't tight enough.  It was good enough
to run lights and such, but once the starter tried to draw its huge amp
load, everything went dead.  Check all  your battery connections, both
to make sure they are tight and to make sure the battery posts and
terminal clamps are clean.  Make sure you check the tightness of the
connection both at the battery end of the leads and at the end where
the leads connect to the starter/chassis ground.  If that's all fine, I
would try bypassing the ignition switch altogether by "hotwiring" the
car.  I'm not sure how you do this, but I think it involves running a
wire directly from the battery positive terminal to a terminal on the
starter solenoid.  If the starter then turns, you know you have a
problem with the ignition circuit somewhere.  If not, it's a bad
starter.  Good luck!

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6